UBC TACS follows the same eligibility guidelines as the Canadian Revenue Agency’s Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP). The CVITP assists eligible taxpayers with low incomes, in simple, non-complex tax situations.
These suggested maximum income levels should serve as a guideline only.
|Taxpayer Status||Your Income (Line 150)|
|Individual||Up to $30,000|
|Couple||Up to $40,000|
|One adult with a child||Up to $35,000|
* For each additional child, add $2,500 to the suggested family income.
* Interest income must be less than $1,000.
Eligible taxpayers normally served by the CVITP include:
- Aboriginal peoples
- Low-income individuals and social assistance recipients
- Newcomers to Canada
Volunteers do not prepare tax returns for individuals who:
- Own foreign property worth over $100,000
- Have self-employment income
- Have business or rental income and expenses
- Have capital gains or losses
- Have employment expenses
- Have filed for bankruptcy
- Are Exchange Students staying in Canada for less than 1 year
- Are visiting Canada
- Are deceased