If you have any of these documents in an electronic form, please bring them with you to the clinic on a USB Flash Drive. Please consider the environment before printing. It is your responsibility to bring all of your tax documents (all that are applicable) for your appointment.

  • Laptop (highly recommended) OR USB Flash Drive
  • Notice of Assessment from the previous tax year (if applicable)
  • Tuition amounts to carry forward (if applicable) – can be found on your Notice of Assessment
  • Social Insurance Number (SIN) OR Individual Tax Number (ITN)
  • T4 (if applicable)
  • T4A (if applicable)
  • T5 (if applicable)
  • T2202A Tuition and Education Amounts Certificate
  • U-Pass/Transit Tax Credit
  • Tax receipts for charitable donations


1. Laptop OR USB Flash Drive


A laptop is highly recommended as we are using UFile to complete clients’ tax returns. By doing so, you would be able to file electronically on site during your appointment (if applicable).

USB Flash Disk

Our volunteers will save your tax return in a PDF for printing and for your own record. By request, our volunteers may also save a .tax file for electronically filing your tax return and for your own record.


2. Notice of Assessment from the previous tax year

A Notice of Assessment is a 2-page statement received by mail after the taxpayer files their tax return and the tax return is reviewed by the Canada Revenue Agency. This statement indicates the amount of tax they owe (if any), the amount of tax already paid (if any), tax credits received, and contributions to a Registered Retirement Savings Plan. If there is a refund owing, a cheque will be included with the Notice of Assessment unless the taxpayer arranged Direct Deposit. If there is an amount owing, payment information will be enclosed.

Is this your first time filing a tax return?

If this is your first time filing a tax return, you do not need to bring a Notice of Assessment.

What if you can’t find it? Where can I find my Notice of Assessment?

If you have lost your Notice of Assessment, you may be able to obtain a duplicate copy of your notice of assessment or notice of reassessment on the Canada Revenue Agency website. If not, please contact the Canada Revenue Agency.

3. Tuition Amounts to Carry Forward

You must claim your tuition, education, and textbook amounts first on your own return. Complete Schedule 11 to calculate how much of this credit you will need to reduce your tax payable. You may need to use all of the credit, or just some of the credit depending on how much tax you owe.

Complete Schedule 11

Is it your 1st Year at UBC for the current tax year?

If this is your first year at UBC for the current tax year, you do not need to report your tuition amounts to carry forward.

Note: Tuition Amounts to Carry Forward appear on your Notice of Assessment of the previous tax year.

4. Social Insurance Number (SIN) or Individual Tax Number (ITN)

Filing a tax return requires a SIN or an ITN.

Difference between a SIN and an ITN

Social Insurance Number

The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits. It is a requirement in order to file a tax return.

I don’t have a SIN

If you are a Canadian citizen, a newcomer to Canada, or a temporary resident, you need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work in Canada or to receive benefits and services from government programs. To apply for a SIN, please visit Service Canada.

International Students | Individual Tax Number (ITN)

If you are an International Student without a SIN, you will need to apply for an individual tax number (ITN) by filling out the T1261 online or it can be picked up and filled out at your appointment. The ITN application can be mailed along with your Paper Tax Return to the Canada Revenue Agency. The process of getting this number may take 4-6 weeks, so please start early. Do not submit this form if you have, or are eligible to obtain, a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

Complete the T1261 Individual Tax Number Form

5. Form T4 (Statement of Remuneration)

A T4 tax slip, or Statement of Remuneration Paid, is prepared and issued by an employer to indicate how much employment income was paid during a tax year and the amount of income tax that was deducted. Employment income includes salary, bonuses, commissions, honorariums, tips, vacation pay, taxable allowances, tips, the value of taxable benefits and payment in lieu of notice.

Employees receive 2 copies of a T4 tax slip from an employer – one to attach to your Canadian federal tax return (paper) and one to keep for records. An employee also may receive more than one T4 tax slip if employed in more than one position during the tax year.


Note: All employers are legally obligated to mail you a T4 slip by the last day of February. Source: Canada Revenue Agency

6. Form T4A (Taxable Scholarship)

A T4A tax slip is a Statement of Pension, Retirement, Annuity, and Other Income. It is prepared and issued by an employer, a trustee, an estate executor or liquidator, a pension administrator, or a corporate director, to indicate how much of certain types of income they paid you during a tax year and the amount of income tax that was deducted.
Scholarships: If you have received a scholarship, you may be receiving a T4A in the mail (some do not apply) or through the UBC Student Service Centre.

Contact UBC Enrolment Services


Note: If you have not received a T4A (if applicable) by the last day of February, please contact your UBC Enrolment Services Professional.

7. Form T5 (Statement of Investment Income)

A T5 is a Statement of Investment Income. A T5 is a tax information slip prepared and issued by financial institutions (banks and credit unions) which pay interest, dividends or royalties to indicate how much investment income you earned for a given tax year.

Note: If you have not received a T5 slip from an investment, please contact your bank or credit union.


8. T2202A (Tuition and Education Amounts Certificate)

T2202A (Tuition, Education, and Textbook Amounts Certificate) is a statement issued to all students who paid tuition and fees for qualifying courses that are eligible for claim on income tax returns. The form shows the amount of tuition that can be deducted for income tax purposes as well as the number of months eligible for the education and textbook deduction. T2202A certificates are available on the UBC Student Service Centre by the last day of February for the tuition and eligible fees paid in the tax year.


Visit the UBC Student Service Centre

9. U-Pass/Transit Tax Credit

Transit riders may be eligible for a non-refundable tax credit to help cover the cost of public transit. Riders who purchase public transit passes may be able to claim a deduction on their federal taxes for the current tax year. Transit pass holders must keep their passes in order to claim the credit. Your U-Pass Tax Credit can be downloaded from the UBC Student Service Centre.

Visit the UBC Student Service Centre

These passes must permit unlimited travel within Canada on:

  • Local buses
  • Streetcars
  • Subways
  • Commuter trains or buses, and
  • Local ferries

You can also claim the cost of shorter duration passes if:

  • Each pass entitles you to unlimited travel for an uninterrupted period of at least 5 days; and
  • You purchase enough of these passes so that you are entitled to unlimited travel for at least 20 days in any 28-day period.


10. Tax Teceipts for Charitable Donations (if applicable)

Donations to charities are tax deductible expenses. These donations can reduce your taxable income. Not all charitable contributions are deductible.

For official and accurate information regarding Charitable Donations, please visit the Canada Revenue Agency.