The UBC Tax Assistance Clinic for Students prepares income tax returns according to the Canada Revenue Agency’s Community Volunteer Income Tax Program’s eligibility policy. The CVITP assists eligible taxpayers who have low income, simple, and non-complex tax situations.
These suggested maximum income levels should serve as a guideline only.
|Taxpayer Status||Your Income (Line 150)|
|Individual||Up to $30,000|
|Couple||Up to $40,000|
|One adult with a child||Up to $35,000|
- For each additional child, add $2,500 to the suggested family income.
- Interest income must be less than $1,000.
Eligible taxpayers normally served by the CVITP include:
- Aboriginal peoples
- Low-income individuals and social assistance recipients
- Newcomers to Canada
Volunteers do not prepare tax returns for individuals who:
- Own foreign property worth over $100,000
- Have self-employment income
- Have business or rental income and expenses
- Have capital gains or losses
- Have employment expenses
- File for bankruptcy
- Are deceased in the year
- Are Exchange Students staying in Canada for less than 1 year
- Are visiting Canada